old forge and smithy
As far back as 1858, The Deeds refer to the messuage (dwelling, outbuilding and lands) as “Twyheere”, with the house and garden mentioned, in addition to a blacksmith’s and also a carpenter’s shop.
The land and buildings were separated from the old cemetery in the 1970s, and The Old Smithy became the house it is today. The original cottage has been completely renovated in recent years but the original smithys’ deep window sills remain as a reminder of its heritage. The building which was the old forge has also been rebuilt and is now a detached dwelling in its own plot.
The old Smithy
The old Forge