st martins church
A collection of historical records
Kelly's Directory of South Wales (1895)
LLANMARTIN, with LLANDEVAUD, is a parish, in the Southern division of the county, lower division of Caldicot hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Netherwent (Western division), archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese, of Llandaff. Llanmartin is 2 ½ miles north-west from Magor station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway and 6 ½ east from Newport.
The church, of St. Martin, rebuilt in the year 1858, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell: in a recess in the north wall of the chancel is an altar-tomb of the time of Henry VII. believed to have been erected to the first Sir Thomas Morgan, if Penycoed Castle; the brass with inscription is lost: there are 110 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1778; marriages, 1755. The living is a rectory, with that of Willcrick annexed, yearly tithe rent-charge £162, average £123, gross income £222, net £155, with 30 acres of glebe, farms of 69 acres and residence, in the gift of Mrs. Perry-Herrick, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Richard Valpy French LL.D, of Trinity College, Dublin, F.S.A., F.R.S.L. There is a Mission hall adjoining the churchyard and a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, recently restored.
National Endowed School, Llandevaud (mixed), founded & endowed by the Rev. Lewis Jones, perpetual curate of Llandevaud, in 1846, for 105 children; average attendance, 75; the school has an endowment of £19, derived from Consols.
Rectorial Benefice of Magor St Martin's Church, Llanmartin
Whilst of course a parish church in its own right for much of its history, St Martin’s church (like numerous other local examples) in reality served as little more than a ‘family chapel’ to nearby Pencoed Castle, home for centuries to the Morgan family and their successors. Little now remains within the church to suggest this role except the elaborate tomb of Sir Thomas Morgan and his wife now located within a recess of the chancel wall. The tomb bears carved images of fourteen children! – Seven boys and seven girls, although Sir Thomas and his wife actually had eight boys and five girls. The varied facial expressions of each should be carefully studied.
With the exception of the 13thcentury west tower, the church was rebuilt in 1858 at which time the former family burial chapel (built 1541) which was located to the north of the chancel (where the vestry is now located) was swept away, along with any family tombs that might have remained. Also lost, is a colourful decorative scheme of 1880, the stencil work to the chancel ceiling being all that remains. The stained glass to the east window is somewhat of a mystery – look closely and you will see that it has been cut down from a much larger design – its original intended location is unknown. Within the west tower window there is a random assortment of pieces of medieval glass
Who Was St. Martin?
The fourth-century bishop of Tours began his young adult life as a soldier in the Roman army. When he saw a beggar one cold winter day, Martin slashed his cloak in two and gave half to the man. That night, he dreamt of Jesus wearing that half cloak. From then on, Martin dedicated his life to Christ and became known for his humility, compassion, miracles, and holiness. Throughout his ministry, St. Martin acted as the hands and feet of Jesus.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANMARTIN, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Caldicott, county Monmouth, 5 miles E. of Newport, its post town and railway station, and 10 from Chepstow. It includes the hamlet of Llandevand. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Llandaff, value with that of Wilerick annexed, £250. The church is dedicated to St. Martin. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. The parish is entitled to send two pensioners to the almshouses at Chepstow."
I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.
History of the cross made in Oberammergau - Saint Martin's Churchyard, Llanmartin.
'Members of the old Hamlet of Llanmartin may have wondered why there is a wooden roofed cross with a carving of Christ on it in the burial grounds of Llanmartin church.
It was originally on the grave of Antonie Endhutter in Konigstein ( near Kassel , Germany). She was grandmother of your parishioner Herta Puls ( nee Ernhutter). She was born on 14 November 1861 and died on 10 January 19 th 1950. When her daughter, Paula Erdhutter ( Studienratin - Senior School Mistress ) died on 26 th May 1979, the cross was erected on her grave on Diessen am Ammersee ( near Munich). It is customary in German Cemeteries to dispose of the graves for reuse after 20 years so in 1997, the cross was removed and would normally been destroyed.
Because the cross had family connections, as well as the valuable carving of Christ, which came from Oberammergau. Herta decided to have it brought here. The Rector, at that time was delighted to have such an important item for the church. He designated its position near the Lych gate as it was best protected from vandalism'
Oscar Puls. Beverley, Magor Road. 2010
Sadly the lych gate has been removed but the exquisite carved cross can be found on the right hand side just inside the main gate.
Llanmartin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The parish contains several communities and is centred on the parish church, which is dedicated to St. Martin, and which gives the name "Llan" for church or holy ground. The name is an anglicised version of the Welsh Llanfarthyn which has the same meaning.
(A description written in 1891)
The church of St. Martin, rebuilt in the year 1858, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled tower containing one bell: in the recess in the north wall of the chancel is an altar-tomb of the time of Henry VII, believed to have been erected to the first Sir Thomas Morgan, of Penycoed Castle; the brass with inscription is lost: there are 100 sittings. The register of Baptisms and Burials dates from the year 1778; Marriages, 1755. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Willcrick, £142 joint yearly tithe rent-charge, with 30 acres of glebe, farms of 69 acres and residence, in the gift of Mrs Perry-Herrick, of Beaumanor Park, Loughborough, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Richard Valpy French LL.D., F.S.A., F.R.S.L., of Trinity College, Dublin. Parish Clerk: James Price.
A Mission Hall adjoins the churchyard and there is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, recently restored
Alison Littler has carried out extensive research and we hope to be adding her findings shoortly
The church hall plays an important part in the community. It is used by the church. clubs. groups and by the Residents Association.
The 1st Llanmartin Scout group has been in the hamlet for over 24 years and meets at the Church hall every Friday evening. Mr Lee Philpot - Scout Leader - 1st Llanmartin Scouts
SCOUTS PLANT VEGETABLES
As a contribution to Wales in Bloom and as part of their work to earn badges the scouts have planted tubs of vegetables and flowers outside the village hall. They won the award from the tallest sunflower
Over the years the Harvest Supper has become an annual event for rsidents in the church hall
At Christmas many residents fill shoeboxes with gifts for children in Africa